Saturday, June 9, 2012

On Being a Girl Dad-1

Fifteen years ago, when my wife and I were expecting our first child, we decided to find out the gender of the baby. It didn't really matter what kind of baby we would have. We just hoped that the baby would be healthy and happy and loved, but knowing the gender made shopping during the retail sales much easier.

I thought I didn't care either way, girl or boy, but when the doctor told us that our baby was a girl, I remember leaping out of my seat and jumping up and down and being just so happy.  I would be a girl dad.  I would learn to play dolls and I would love my little girl and teach her the importance of loving herself.

When Indigo was born, I could not believe how beautiful she was.  The doctor placed the baby on my wife's stomach and the baby moved around, almost in slow motion looking, following the voices she had heard throughout the gestation process.  I felt as if she looked for me and I put my face near hers and she seemed to say, 'So nice to put a face to the voice.' My heart filled with a love so great and so deep.  And so began the best role I have ever had, that of the father of two little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment