Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On Being a Girl Dad-07

I am dyslexic.  It took me years to figure out why I had to be in the remedial reading class.  Back in the day, no one knew what dyslexia is, so when I finally discovered that I had a reason for not being able to read like everyone else, I was overjoyed.  What I learned is that I have to take my time and relax in order to get the words right.  I was so worried that my daughters would inherit the reading disorder and I held my breath until they were able to read with great fluency.  Today, I was thrilled to walk into the family room only to find my daughters engrossed in some leisure reading.  Indigo, 14, is reading a Tennessee Williams play, while Azure, 10, is reading Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.  Simultaneous, they announce they have only a few pages to go and when they are done, they can't wait to share what happened.  I am thrilled with their enthusiasm for reading.  I am so excited that they can read anything at any time and not have the restraints that I have when I read.  I am so proud they are my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment